About the University of Zadar
Zadar has a university tradition of many centuries, the longest in Croatia: following the tradition of ecclesiastical education, first mentioned in the 10th century, a Dominican higher education institution Studium generale, later known as the Universitas Iadertina, was founded on 14 June 1396. From 1396 to 1553 (with an interruption from 1481 to 1495 due to the Ottoman invasion), Zadar’s Studium generale was the first university consisting of two faculties, the lower- and higher-level studies of Philosophy and Theology. In 1553 it received the status of “privileged university”, with the right to award the highest academic degrees, including the doctorate. From 1553 to 1807, 105 doctoral degrees were awarded. Zadar flourished as an important naval point in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, where the seats of government institutions were located, including the seat of the Austro-Hungarian Ban and the Hungarian-Croatian navy. When Napoleon conquered Dalmatia, the French government abolished the University of Zadar in 1807. However, a lyceum was established the next year, consolidating high school education (grammar school) and higher education. Zadar’s Lyceum offered higher education in Surgery, Medicine, Chemistry and Law. In 1809, the civil governor of Dalmatia, Vicenzo Dandolo, ordered the transition of the Lyceum into a university. In 1810 the study of Theology was also introduced. Unfortunately, this first modern university in Croatia was abolished due to limited finance on 12 December 1811. Its modern development started in 1955 when a Faculty of Philosophy was established in Zadar as part of the University of Zagreb. In 1974, the Faculty was affiliated to the University of Split. Finally, the Croatian Parliament refounded the University of Zadar in 2002. Today, it is an integrated university that includes 27 university departments.